Sunday 17 June 2012

Bonus Trips to Villefranche-sur-Saône, Dijon and Postscript


Days 20 and 21

I am delighted that Belleville-sur-Saône has a station from where you can easily reach some splendid destinations. 

The station itself has been beautifully restored, which is lovely to see. As is so common at French railway stations, there is a nice restaurant nearby. 

'Le Buffet de La Gare' is very popular with locals. So much so, that all the tables on the terrace are full when I pop in for lunch, so I have to sit in the bar. But that's great, because I can watch the hustle and bustle and just soak up the atmosphere.



I just manage to finish my meal before I have to dash to catch the regional express train to Villefranche-sur-Saône, only 12 minutes along the track towards Lyon. I am delighted to find that the station is only a short walk from centre ville. The people at the tourist office are especially helpful in telling me what sights there are to see. 

In the office, there's an extraordinary machine, which dispenses a selection of Beaujolais wine at the press of a button. I purchase the necessary smart card and enjoy sampling a Brouilly and a Fleurie. Just as I am about to leave, a French lady engages me in conversation. This turns out to be Liliane Melinand, whose family run the Domaine des Marrans in Fleurie. Her wine is one of the dozen or so in the machine and I think she is rather pleased to see that someone is actually trying it out.



Villefranche-sur-Saône turns out to be well worth a visit, with lots of historical buildings, some dating back to the 15th century, to see, a lovely 12th century church and much besides. I am glad I am walking rather than in a car because the main drag, the rue Nationale, seems to be almost permanently gridlocked. For not the first time in Beaujolais, I note that the bakers shops seem to be vying with each other to produce the biggest meringues in town!


It's back to Belleville-sur-Saône for dinner, where we are joined by two Belgian couples. Dinners at Domaine Geoffray are always a delight, but especially when other folk are booked in. (The following night, three French couples arrive in 'Camping-Cars'. I have a look inside the impressive camper vans and am not surprised to discover that they each cost over €52,000. Gulp.)
My final bonus trip is on the line north to Dijon, famous mustard-producing town.



The station is undergoing a major transformation for the arrival of a new TGV line and, on September 1st, two new tram lines. It's impossible to walk through Dijon without seeing publicity about the new DIVIA service, which will incorporate new smart card technology.


If Villefranche-sur-Saône was packed with history, Dijon just oozes it, although the Tourist Office is rather less forthcoming about what there is to see than their colleagues in Villefranche. That's bizarre but maybe it is just the smaller organisation being better at capitalising on their fewer number of resources?
I stop for a much-needed haircut and although I am not keen, 'un shampooing' is, apparently, 'obligatoire'. I am at pains to explain to the girl that I do not want too much cut off, but she does what she does and I won't need to visit a hairdresser again for quite a while.



Dijon is a lovely city with many lovely old buildings. I am drawn to Les Halles market, which is absolutely splendid and clearly hugely popular. It is surrounded by little cafés and restaurants which, at 1pm, are similarly packed. 

I choose the Café de l'Industrie, mainly because it seems to be especially popular and I am lucky to be given the one recently vacated table. It turns out to be an absolutely excellent choice. Interestingly, by the time I leave at 2.30, most of the hustle and bustle has left the street, the market stalls surrounding Les Halles are all gone and Dijon has gone into Saturday afternoon slumber mode.


I have to buy some mustard, but while a visit to the Maille Moutarde shop is interesting, the prices are extortionate. So I head to the nearby Monoprix supermarket where the same products are a lot more kind to the pocket.

I have added brief details of my two bonus trips just as an example of how flexible and easy it is to get about using railways as a means of travel. And how much there is to discover close to the many thousands of stations throughout Europe. I especially enjoy not being stuck in traffic or going around in circles trying to find a parking space. I like the fact that trains are generally comfortable, much more spacious than aircraft and there is no hassle about security.


For users of InterRail passes, the main tip is to book ahead on routes where there are compulsory reservations. That is especially vital when trying to use French High Speed Trains, the TGV's. Wherever possible, use the excellent network of Regional Express trains which are often less crowded and a lot more fun than their faster equivalents.


But do plan ahead. The Thomas Cook book 'Europe by Rail' and their European Rail Map are essentials. Their regularly updated timetables too are great to have with you, but, if you are online, I can also recommend the German Railways' website for the best up to date timetable information for all European trains.
Of course, as one who has been a victim of robbery, be vigilant with your valuables, especially near major railway stations.
An InterRail pass represents great value, is available in many options and can be bought by anyone.
In closing, I'd like to thank Eurail for giving me the opportunity to do the trip I'm also very grateful to the many friends who have contributed to such an excellent three weeks and the many new folk I have met along the way and who have helped make it such an experience.
If you haven't InterRailed before, try it. You will not be disappointed.

Best of the trip photos are at:

The very best of European Rail Journey 2012


You can see all the photos at:

European Rail Trip 2012

No comments: